Experienced Textile Clothing Fabric Cutter
We are a Ballarat based Australian clothing manufacturer registered with Ethical Clothing Australia and have a small friendly team. We run a busy shopfront; factory and website with a focus on ethical manufacturing. Our factory location is not easily accessible by public transport during all operating hours.
The fabric cutter reports directly to the company Director’s and is responsible for managing the workflow into the sewing room.
Our company has less than fifteen staff so the ability to maintain individual productivity and be flexible with working hours and daily tasks is essential. There will be role sharing for this position so ownership of the complete area is not necessary, however a pride in growing the role and a strong work ethic will be rewarded. You will get to work in a happy friendly team environment where your input is encouraged and valued and you’ll have access to great staff discounts.
You will be covered by the Textile, Clothing, Footwear and Associated Award and we are offering the classification skill level commensurate with experience to the successful applicant. The position will be permanent part-time and a trial period of three months will apply. Depending on experience and the requirements of the applicant, a full-time permanent contract may be negotiated.
Closing Date: Friday, July 31st – or on appointment of the successful applicant so apply ASAP.
Starting Date for the successful applicant will be flexible depending on the applicant’s requirements. Interviews may be immediate.
- Cutting of all fabric pieces to cardboard patterns
- Including extensive use of a 41/4” Electric Lightning Circular Cutter;
- Keeping the cardboard patterns up to date and tidy;
- Wearing of all PPE including a mesh cutting glove at all times;
- Use of other standard cutting room equipment;
- Managing workflow to the sewing room to make sure each machine has work
- Attention to all current jobs in the workroom with regard to due dates;
- Attention to all processes required for each job to pass cut garment pieces to the appropriate machine operator;
To perform well in this role the following is absolutely required:
To be successful in this position, you must have the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Experience with 41/4” Electric Lightning Circular Cutter;
- Extensive experience working in a similar cutting role within a commercial workroom;
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability quickly identify flaws and inconsistencies in fabric;
- Confident working with numbers and performing complex fabric calculations;
- Experience working with patterned fabrics and the ability to calculate pattern matching requirements;
- Enjoys physically demanding work and able to carry/handle large and heavy fabrics;
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to follow processes and workflows;
- Perfectionist who takes pride in the quality of their work;
- Neat, clear handwriting and the ability to accurately transfer manufacturing specifications from worksheets onto manufacturing tags;
- Strong verbal communication skills;
- Fast, smart and enthusiastic learner;
- Exceptional team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with management, other staff and suppliers;
- Knowledgeable about WHS policies and procedures;
- Thorough understanding of workplace Bullying and Harassment policies and procedures;
- Currently living in or prepared to relocate to the Ballarat region;
- Experience in other commercial garment manufacturing processes such as steam bed operation or commercial sewing;
- Recent industry experience in the advertised field;
To apply please send an email including a cover letter addressing the absolutely required and highly regarded points; and your current resume using the form below. Applications missing any of these components will not be considered. Please be prepared to bring at least two contactable references if you are invited to an interview.
We are a small team and do not have time to field phone or in-person inquiries for this position; please limit your inquiries to email only.
Due to internal reshuffling of some roles and accommodating flexible working hours within our factory, we would also love to hear from you if you have at least three years experience in:
- Commercial Sewing Machinist;
- Commercial Linking Machinist;
- Commercial Embroidery Machine Operation;
- Commercial Knitting Machine Operation;
- Steam Press Operation;
Please send your resume using the form on this page and include your qualifications in your cover letter.